Monday 16 March 2015

A Year in Pictures – 15 March 2015 – The Crown in Twickenham


The Crown stands on the Richmond Road very close to Marble Hill Park and dates back to the 1730s. A couple of years ago it was extensively refurbished by a new management and reports have been steadily emerging of how very good the food is there, so it seemed a good choice for my big birthday lunch with my immediate family and my brother's family.

I have known the Crown for a number of years, initially through taking part in jazz jam sessions in the function room (a Victorian addition) at the rear of the building. It was a cheerless place then, but now the function room is more integrated with the pub as a whole and the present well-chosen decor throughout brings out very well the qualities of space and cosiness that this lovely old inn possesses.

It was Mothering Sunday today, so the place was very busy and the earliest I could book lunch for our party of 11 was 2:30. It was worth waiting for. On Sundays the main courses are roast meats plus fish and vegetarian options, and all was delicious and, as Samuel Pepys would have said, "very merry". I had roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, which impressed from the first mouthful to the last. 

I grabbed this hasty shot with my phone after we left the pub for the short journey to our house, where the festivities continued with tea and good rich chocolate cake made by my daughter.

It has been a weekend of love and blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment