Saturday 21 February 2015

A Year in Pictures – 21 February 2015 – St Luke the Evangelist


For some reason I have felt pretty whacked today and not in the least inclined to take photographs outdoors in the biting wind, so this is another image from the archive.

We are once again in the stupendous Elisabethkirche in Marburg, Germany, and here, from one of the facets of the carved stone pulpit, is St Luke with his symbolic creature, the winged ox (or maybe bull), representing strength, service and sacrifice.

I have always been drawn to Luke as he was, like my father, a physician. I first learned of him from the television drama Paul of Tarsus (1960). Patrick Troughton, who went on to play the second Doctor Who, played the title role, while Luke was played by Philip Latham, whose kind face and gentle manner appealed to my five-year-old self.

No comments:

Post a Comment