Sunday 4 January 2015

A Year in Pictures – 2 January 2015

This day saw the funeral of my youngest cousin, who died suddenly a few weeks before Christmas.

My wife and I drove to the south coast with my brother and his wife for the services of committal and remembrance, followed by a reception for family and friends in a boating club that had been a special place for my cousin. A number of more distant relatives had travelled some distance to be there and, although it was good to see one another and even catch up on researches into our shared family history, we all wished fervently that the circumstances had been different. There was laughter as well as tears and solemnity mingled naturally with humour to dispel the clouds of despair that could so easily have gathered around such an untimely event.

Rest in peace, dear cousin.



No comments:

Post a Comment